Moratorium on procurement of new natural gas generation and procurement of DERs.
- Stop procurement of new natural gas generation, including under the open LT1 RFP.
- Launch a new procurement stream beginning in 2024 targeting low-cost, non-emitting supply, including wind and solar, with annual RFPs to provide industry certainty.
- Direct the IESO to target all cost-effective conservation and demand management in the post-2024 CDM framework.
- Incentivise renewable energy development by confronting development by-passes
- Eliminate the offshore wind moratorium
- Extend Community Net Metering province-wide
- Increase the threshold for microgeneration
Increased or continued reliance on natural gas for electricity generation will increase emissions, air pollution, and accompanying health issues. This risks leaving stranded assets to future generations when gas plants won’t be permitted to operate.
Instead, investing in clean energy, storage, and efficiency would maintain Ontario’s clean grid advantage, attracting investment from companies who need to meet their ESG requirements.
A fair, affordable, modern electricity system would generate local economic activity and keep benefits in the community.